1. ASSESS ALIGNMENT AND MOBILITY.
2. CORRECT ALIGNMENT, RESTORE MOBILITY, ENHANCE STABILITY.
3. SUPPORT IMPROVEMENTS WITH COACHING AND PRESCRIBED EXERCISE.
4. LIVE LIFE TO ITS FULLEST.
WELCOME TO DAKIN REHAB!
Calgary Registered Massage Therapist
At Dakin Rehab we believe that the pelvis functions as the foundation for your body. Alignment problems with the hips and pelvis can result in a wide variety of pain problems, such as back, hip, knee and foot pain. Assessing and correcting such pain-producing problems is what we do. Are you ready to get your life back? If so, you’ve come to the right place!
WHY WE’RE DIFFERENT
There are 3 important ways we are different from most massage therapists:
1. Assessment; we have Canada’s only Diers 4D Formetric scanner. If appropriate treatment depends upon accurate assessment, then we are way ahead of the pack!
2. Corrective Exercise; Geoff Dakin created the Alignment First Protocol © to empower patients and enable them to take the treatment room home with them. Daily correctives are your daily medicine.
3. Support; we email you the day of your first appointment and maintain a degree of communication and education support outside of normal business hours that is second to none!
WHAT WE DO
Whether we are talking about rehabilitation of acute injury, elimination of chronic pain or postural reeducation there is a logical progression of steps that must be followed in to optimize your therapeutic progress:
1. Restore proper alignment
2. Ensure adequate mobility
3. Create sufficient stability
4. Improve motor control
5. Build strength
6. Develop endurance
Our goal is to reeducate your body into a more neutral position, decreasing the load on your soft tissues, joints and nervous system. In the process, you get rid of your pain and get your life back!
We bring about these changes with a combination of soft tissue work and corrective exercise, each program is personally prescribed and based upon detailed assessment, reassessment and constant communication between the patient and therapist.
This is a process that takes longer for some people than others, depending upon the unique nature of each case, but the steps and their order are the same for everyone.
The program of care we provide is divided into three distinct phases:
1. Intensive Period. This period of care involves 4 visits scheduled once a week over 4 weeks. This phase is about revealing the root cause of your pain/dysfunction and unlocking it. Each weekly session includes surface topography scan results, functional testing and corrective exercise program updates.
2. Recovery Period. We see each other much less frequently as your body’s new postural balance begins to stabilize. This phase consists of four more sessions, but they are scheduled every two weeks instead of weekly. A biweekly summary report ensures our collaboration remains on track, focusing on the key issues remaining.
3. Maintenance Care. This phase is different for everybody. Some patients will need more supervised care, while others will require little. During the first two periods of care you will have brought about big changes in your body and learned a lot about helping yourself. With continued practice of the Alignment First Protocol © these results can last a lifetime. Then again, sometimes even a Ferrari needs a wheel alignment. For those times, you will know where to find us!
WHO WE ARE
Author of The Body Mechanic’s Handbook, former president of the Massage Therapists’ Association of BC, former massage therapist for the Vancouver Canucks, Geoff Dakin has been helping people solve their pain problems in Canada, the US and Mexico for more than 27 years.
Claudia Escorza is a manual therapist who enjoys seeing how her work improves the lives of others. In 2004 Claudia graduated from Escuela Tecnica De Capacitacion Para La Estetica Y Terapias Manuales Mashach, A.C., in Puebla, Mexico, with a diploma in manual therapy. A large portion of the training she received was in the school’s multidisciplinary teaching clinic, giving her exposure to a very wide variety of healthcare providers, health challenges and therapeutic strategies. At Dakin Rehab Claudia is in charge of assessments, including the Diers 4D Formetric scanner, the Diers Pedoscan and functional testing.
We at Dakin Rehab have the incredible good fortune to have Canada’s first Diers 4D Formetric scanner and Pedoscan. The 4D Formetric scanner is like an x-ray machine without the harmful radiation. Based upon surface topography technology, the scan makes visible bony alignment problems that would otherwise be invisible. Not only do we have the unfair advantage of being able to accurately measure scoliosis, pelvic asymmetries and more than a hundred other alignment metrics, but the scan is quick and hazard-free, making valuable reassessments extremely convenient. The Diers Pedoscan allows us to measure foot posture and weightbearing distribution. There is more to rehab than posture, so we also utilize the Functional Movement Screen © to reveal functional deficits as well.
The Alignment First Protocol ©, the self-customizing system of corrective exercise developed by Geoff Dakin is designed to systematically eliminate pain-producing misalignments and the muscle imbalances that cause them. It’s a pretty hollow victory if your symptoms only disappear for two hours, two days or two weeks following treatment. Your Alignment First exercises address the root cause of your problem and daily practice of these movements helps to ensure that you are making improvements that last.
ACCESSIBILITY AND AFFORDABILITY
A major goal here at Dakin Rehab is accessibility and affordability. Different payment options exist to maximize your ability to access this care:
1. Pay As You Go This method involves paying at the end of each appointment for services rendered.
2. Monthly Auto Pay This allows you to accrue a balance on your account which will be automatically billed via credit card at the end of each month.
3. Prepay Method Prepays can be done at any time during your care, but they must be done in advance of your appointment. When you prepay an amount ($500 minimum) to be debited as care is provided, you will receive a 10% administration credit that will be added to your account as a bonus for reduced administrative costs. If applicable, this can also be used in a group/family plan.
Poor posture and chronic pain are not inevitable side effects of aging. Working together we can get you your life back. Call (403) 399-5716 today and let’s get started!
Registered Massage Therapist
GEOFF DAKIN BPE, RMT
Cel: (403) 399–5716
Britannia Bodywork & Wellness Centre
#211–5005 Elbow Drive S.W.
Calgary , Alberta, Canada
Tel: (403) 243–6610